Friday

BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS IS A SOCIETAL FOUNDATION

I previously posted an article about players of Pro Sports being held more accountable for their actions, like a character clause. Well, this brought about remarks, such as, "In the entertainment biz, they have no morals."

Alright, there are a lot of people who get rich too fast and lose their scruples, and, not much is going to change that. But, if they were held accountable for their behaviors, then, perhaps they would think twice about acting illegally, immorally, or stupidly. In the 'old' Hollywood and in Pro Sports if those who signed a contract acted in ways which would embarrass them, or cause scandal, they were let go. This was important as they had to abide by certain codes.

Making people accountable is not something new, nor is it preposterous. It is the foundation of society itself...

The thing which bothers me is that kids think that they can act and do the same as their heroes, and, if their hero is in trouble with the law, they are watching a role model being excused, and, impressively might be led to believe that if they become bad enough, they will escape the brunt of the law as well...

I am no angel believe me, I have had my downfalls in life, but, one thing which keeps cropping up is that I was always facing repercussions for my actions, and, it straightened me out.

Does anyone 'get' what I am referring to? Why is a matter of great humor to some that I say that those in power and affluence should be made to abide by rules of conduct and morality?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is excellent timing for me. Lyn, your work is priceless. I always find myself relating to what you write about.

Lynda said...

Thank you Zephyr, I am glad that you 'get' my messages... hugs...